*If you see something you'd like to re-post or share, please email me and ask first. This includes but is not limited to all text, information, and photos on the blog. Thank you!*

Monday, October 6, 2014

Packing List




Packing is a lot of work!  It's important to be organized and start early!  We have stayed at the hospital over night before.  Anywhere from one night to 16 nights.  Sometimes they were emergencies and sometimes they were planned well ahead of time. This time will be a bit different.  We live much farther away from the hospital and won't have much opportunity for visitors.  


I have guide lines from CHOC about what to pack for the 19 day inpatient feeding program so I thought I would share that with my personal notes pre-hospital stay and maybe add a 'post stay' too for a more 'insider's look'!     


   Clothes:  Children in the inpatient feeding program are not required to wear a hospital gown and can feel free to where their favorite clothes and pajamas from home while staying at CHOC. Clothing should be comfortable and easy for the child to move around in during play time. We also encourage families to bring a sweater or light jacket even in the summer time. Parents should also bring comfortable clothing and keep in mind that laundry services are not available on-site at CHOC. Our staff can provide a list of local laundromats.

If my husband is able to visit us on Saturday, he may take our dirty clothes home, wash them, and bring them back on Sunday.  So we are packing about a week and a half worth of clothes each.  We are also bringing our Halloween Costumes and our swimming suits to try to make it to the beach.  It will still be pretty warm outside during the day but it's nice in the mornings and evenings.  But since we spend most of our time in the hospital, I'm packing mostly pants, a few sweaters, and shoes.    



    Hygiene and Personal Care Items:  Although the hospital can provide soap, shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste and diapers, most families prefer to bring their own. Hygiene and personal care items. Although parents should also pack their own personal medications, most medications, formula supplements, and g-tube supplies for the child will be provided by the hospital. If the child is on a special vitamin supplement, discuss whether the feeding team will need you to bring it with you.

I will be bringing our own shampoo and conditioner, Whitney and I both have thick wavy hair.  We also have electric tooth brushes and all our other hygiene items to bring.  I'm glad they provide diapers because Whitney still needs those at night.   I will also pack Whitney's medication bottles, just to make sure they get the right prescription and so that I can compare it to the meds they bring up for her.  I plan on bringing my own ibuprofen/tylenol for myself.  I want to bring some formula with us, at least to keep in the car.  I never leave the house with out it anyways!  I will also bring a few extensions because sometimes the hospital doesn't have the ones I like to use, same with the tape. 




Toys:  We encourage parents to pack some of the child’s favorite toys, games or stuffed animals, especially those that could help motivate the child during meal time or be comforting at bedtime. Families traveling by car may wish to bring a tricycle, small scooter or other small ride-on toy and a helmet for use on the hospital's patios.

I want to bring Whitney's balance bike, but she doesn't know how to ride it...maybe she will learn soon!  I wish I could bring my bike, haha.  I will also gather up just a few toys, games, and books, I don't want our little room to be too cluttered.  Plus they have tons of toys and books at the hospital to borrow and she can make crafts.  Also I'm bringing church lessons, scriptures, and photos.  Whitney loves having gospel lessons. 



    Sleep items:  If there are things that help the child fall asleep at night (i.e. blanket, pillow, sheets, stuffed animal), please bring those to make it easier for the child to fall asleep at night.

Whitney has a lot of stuffed animals that she likes to sleep with, so I'll just pack up her whole bed!  Haha.  And don't forget the batteries for the musical toys!  I'll bring a few of our favorite pillows and blankets too. 





    Floor mat:  Families are encouraged to bring a blanket or rug to put on the floor for the child to play and work on during the day, as we try to keep the bed just for sleeping as much as possible. 

I think this is a great idea!  I found a 3x5 rug for $20 at the store to bring and use.  I will also put a foam puzzle mat under it, it's a huge one with only 2-4 squares. I want it easy to pick up and put away when not in use so that we don't walk all over it with our shoes. 



    DVDs:  Some families may have access to a DVD player during their stay; however, due to limited availability, we highly recommend bringing in a portable DVD player from home and the child’s favorite movies.


Whitney and I like to watch movies together, at least one a day!  I doubt we'll have much time to watch a movie that much though. I will bring a bunch of her favorite DVD's and a portable DVD player.  We have netflix and amazon prime instant video but I'm not sure if they will work there or not. 






    Dinnerware:  If the child prefers to eat or drink out of a particular type of dinnerware, please bring them to CHOC; otherwise, we can supply all necessary utensils, plates, cups etc. The benefit of bringing dinnerware from home is that the child will be used to those cups, plates and utensils when it comes time to apply their new feeding skills at home.


At first I didn't want to bother bring a bunch of dinnerware from home.  I thought it would just be a hassle and didn't know how I would wash it all.  But I do have some plates and cups that I would like to bring.  Also I'll bring some straws. So far Whitney just eats from little baby spoons, so I would like for her to learn to eat from regular metal spoons or whatever they recommend there.  Guess I'll bring or buy some travel size dish soap and a scrubbing brush too.  Also, I plan on bringing Whitney's chewy tubes.  





    Photographs and decorations:  We encourage families to Personalize their room with photos of family and friends and decorations that will make the child feel more comfortable and happy while at CHOC.


I'm excited for this one, hehe.  I bought two cute little $1 clip boards and I want to hang them up in our room and attach a new photo everyday.  I already printed up about 40 pictures of our family and friends and fun things we've done together.  I coordinated some photos on specific days, like for my birthday and for Halloween. I want Whitney to know that everyone is so proud of her and wants her to eat.  I also plan on hanging up all of Whitney's colorings and crafts she does while at the hospital.  Whitney and I just made a banner with her name on it to hang above her bead. She has her name (in colorful wooden letters) hanging above her bed at home, so I think she will love it there too.





    Parent items:  Because the child’s primary caregiver is required to stay with the child throughout the 19 days at the hospital, we encourage those parents to bring their own personal comfort items, as well as electronics, magazines, headphones, crafts and other activities that will help pass the time. 

I just got my first smart phone ever and this thing has everything on it!  It's amazing!  I love to blog, play games, take photos, facebook, read scriptures, listen to music, watch movies, and more!  I will still bring some books, magazines, and a notebook.  I don't really have any crafts, but I do need to plan my son's second birthday party.     



    Internet and laptop access:  CHOC Children’s provides free Wifi access throughout the hospital. Laptops are available for loan during the child’s hospitalization through the “Geek Squad” program.

I would take advantage of this offer!  It's so much easier to blog on a lap top than on an iPhone.  Plus we might be able to watch Netflix and Amazon Instant Videos!   





    Food:  All food will generally be provided by the hospital; however, in some cases if the child has very specific food preferences that are not normally stocked by the hospital, parents may bring these items and store them in the refrigerator located in the child’s room. The Dietary Department can also provide most special requests if notified prior to admission to the hospital, so be sure to discuss any specific requests prior to the arriving at CHOC. Parents are welcomed to bring their own food to store in the room or in the refrigerator in the nurses’ station. There are also two cafeterias or the option of a parent tray that can be sent to the room for $5 per tray.


Whitney doesn't have any food allergies or sensitivities that we know of, yet.  I think she will do just fine eating the food they provide.  But I will probably pack some of her 'favorite snacks' just in case.  I'm not quit sure what to do for my food.  I want to try to eat what Whitney is eating and just be a good example.  I don't want to buy food at the cafeteria three times a day though.  There is a fridge in our room and a microwave in the nurses station.  So I will bring some of my own meals and a case of water.

Like I said before, I'll update this post at the end of our stay for a more insider's look about what to bring and what not to bring! 



Now I have to make up my own packing list for my son, who is spending the time with Gramma and Grampa.  And also figure out meals and the car situation for my husband.





 

1 comment: